-Alarm Contractor Company
No person or company shall engage in or hold themselves out as engaging in the business of an alarm systems contractor without first being certified by the Board.
In order to obtain certification as an alarm systems contractor the company must submit application for certification to the Board.
Such application shall document that the applicant has in its employ a "Designated Qualifying Agent" who is licensed by the Board, and is in a management position, responsible for overseeing the quality of operations of the alarm systems contractor.
This individual must be licensed in the same classifications (i.e. FIRE, BURGLAR, CCTV, MONITORING) as the applicant for company certification in order to obtain company certification in those categories.
The company applicant shall provide documentation of the required city and/or county business tax licenses, and shall provide a certificate of insurance documenting compliance with the requirements set forth in T.C.A. 62-32-315.
The renewal period is every two (2) years. You may contact the Board office if you have questions regarding your renewal.
- Qualifying Agent
An individual qualified to oversee and supervise alarm systems contractor operations including offers to sell, install, service or monitor alarm systems, signal devices, fire alarms, burglar alarms, television cameras or still cameras used to detect fire, burglary, breaking and/or entering, intrusion, shoplifting, pilferage or theft.
The license is for a specific classification (FIRE, BURGLAR, CCTV, MONITORING).
"Designated Qualifying Agent" - the Qualifying Agent designated by the certified contractor to be responsible for compliance with state law.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of good moral character
- Be employed by a certified alarm contractor
- Satisfy experience, education and examination requirements.
Experience & Educational Requirements
- Hold a 4 year baccalaureate degree in electrical engineering, industrial technology, computer engineering, or industrial engineering from an accredited university or college acceptable to the Board and have two years of experience in the alarm industry OR
- Hold an associates degree in engineering technology from an accredited two-year technical college acceptable to the Board with at least four years of actual experience in the alarm industry OR
- Hold a current certification by a national training program approved by the Board in the field of work to be installed, serviced or monitored and have at least five years working experience in the alarm industry covering the actual installation or monitoring of alarms.
- Qualifying Experience
- Qualifying Education Information
Qualifying Agents must pass an examination designed to measure knowledge and competence in each classification for which they have applied.
Examination Information - Effective Wednesday, October 9, 2013 PSI Services, LLC will begin accepting registrations for Alarm Qualifying Agent examinations. The earliest date the examination can be scheduled is Thursday, October 24, 2013. Please use the link below to access examination information. Examination Candidate Information Bulletin
- Registered Employee
An alarm system contractor employee with access to records, diagrams, plans or other sensitive information pertaining to monitored, installed or proposed alarm systems.
Employing company must register employees in accordance with the law within 30 days of employment.
Each applicant must submit:
- A signed, notarized application along with the appropriate non-refundable application fee of $100.00.
- Three completed fingerprint cards issued by this office with the required $60.00 fee.
- Or - Electronically scanned fingerprint receipt.
- Two 1" x 1" color passport-style photos with the name of the applicant printed on the back of each.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of good moral character.
Employee registrations are renewed in conjunction with company renewals. No registration renewals are issued by this office. You may contact the Board office if you have questions regarding your renewal.